DIALOGUE WRITING

 DIALOGUE WRITING 

DIALOGUE WRITING

A dialogue is a "conversation between two or more people" 

Ordinarily we take it as a talk between two people. Writing a dialogue should not be difficult, as it demands short sentences, common everyday speech and very brief expression of ideas or description or narration of experiences. 

While writing a dialogue: 

(A) Write naturally what the persons in the dialogue feel and think in their positions or capacities. 

(B) Write according to the subject of the dialogue. 

(C) See that the dialogue is a kind of discussion in which the two persons are presenting their own points of view on some subject. 

(D) Also see that the dialogue is neither very long nor very short, but a rather satisfactory discussion of the subject within the given spaces. 

(E) Try to speak like the persons (e.g., a doctor, a lawyer, a student etc.) in the dialogue would speak. 

(F) The tense should be used as the talk demands, but carefully and correctly. 

(G) As dialogue can be an informal conversation, following abbreviations may be used to bring the element of informality in the dialogue. 

I'd = I would. Isn't = is not. Wasn't = was not. Aren't = are not. Can't = cannot. I'm not = I am not (We can't say "I'm" without any word following it.) Doesn't = does not. Don't = do not. Shouldn't = should not. Ough'nt = ought not, and so on. 


1. Dialogue on Health:


DIALOGUE ON HEALTH DIALOGUE ON HEALTH
Ahmad How are you, my friend? Today you don't look very happy.
Baker I don't feel well today. My health is a problem now.
Ahmad It shouldn't be a problem in any case. If we attend to our health properly, we can't normally fall I'll.
Baker How can we attend to health in your opinion?
Ahmad We should try to be happy and satisfied first of all. Whatever our engagements, we should try to take exercise every day for sometime at least. We should eat simple but healthful food and as much of fruit as possible.
Baker You are right. Whenever I remain worried or feel upset l begin feeling unwell. And when I don't exercise the body for long I don't feel fit enough although I always eat fine food.
Ahmad A busy person like you can jump and run for a few minutes in the morning or can walk fast from one place to another.
Baker Now I'll try to walk and run whenever 1 can. Health is after all the greatest wealth. Thanks for your advice.


2. Dialogue between two friends on the choice of a profession:

DIALOGUE no. 02 Dialogue b/w two friends
Sohail Have you ever thought of your future profession?
Rafi Yes; I have. But I can't decide what I should be a lawyer or a magistrate.
Sohail Better be a magistrate because a magistrate has a lot of authority and also a high place in society.
Rafi I don't much agree with you. A successful lawyer has a better income and more freedom and perhaps fame too.
Sohail The difficulty is in becoming a successful lawyer
Rafi I agree. I think I can be successful more easily because my father is a senior lawyer. He can help me a lot.
Sohail I personally don't like to be "helped" by anyone. I hate this. Even though your father is a lawyer you will sooner or later work on your own.
Rafi Then tell me what you have decided to do?
Sohail I would like to be a teacher first. I will study hard, and then I may try to get a doctorate (PhD) in my subject.
Rafi Everyone has his own idea of a profession.
Sohail It's fine. All professions are good. I can't understand people who say one profession is better than the other.


3. Dialogue Between two old school Friends who have met after years:

DIALOGUE No. 03 School Friends who have met after years
Amir Do you remember those old faces of our dear friend moving around in school?
Tahir In those good old days when we used to forget the passage of time. And do you remember that time?
Amir Dear Tahir! It pains me to remember it. Those teachers and those students of that time are still in my mind.
Tahir Let's try to remember the best of them. A, the Maths teacher, always asking us about homework and B, the Urdu teacher always talking of ghalib's love with a girl whom he could never marry.
Amir A and was B himself married?
Tahir Don't you know it? He was a 'confirmed bachelor'.
Amir What a pity! He was really a nice teacher.
Tahir Our friend C who always troubled every teacher and always got punished is in Karachi these days.
Amir What is he doing?
Tahir He runs a big shop with his father, sells TVs and mobiles.
Amir What about D, the best hockey player in school?
Tahir He has joined the navy.


04. DIALOGUE BETWEEN TWO WOMEN ABOUT DOING SOMETHING

Dialogue No. 04 Dialogue b/w two women for doing something
Rabia How are you, Shabnam? I haven't (have not) seen you for quite some time.
Shabnam Several times I tried to come you, but my new job stopped me.
Rabia What new job? Are you working somewhere in the city?
Shabnam Oh no dear, in my house. You can't think of what I am doing these days. Listen! I am making dolls and toys for children and selling them at shops?
rabia Well done Shabnam. I also want to do something but my husband stops me. I need more money for children.
Shabnam I know for sure that you sew clothes very well. Why not sew garments for children and women?
Rabia What a good idea! I shall ask my husband to get me an electric sewing machine and I will start making clothes.
Shabnam I shall tell your husband how useful it is to work at home when you can't perhaps also better education.
Rabia And when you work in this way you increase (add to) Production in society and help others.
Shabnam But first you help yourself.
Rabia Thank you very much my dear for your good suggestion.
Shabnam O that's (that is) all right.


05. DIALOGUE ON THE DIFFICULTIES OF LEARNING ENGLISH



DIALOGUE ON. 05 DIALOGUE ON THE DIFFICULTIES OF LEARNING ENGLISH
Hassan You joined this college last year, didn't you'?
Siraj Yes, I did. You have also been here, haven't you?
Hassan Yes I have. By the way, how are you getting on in English?
Siraj Oh, I find it rather difficult. Do you think why?
Hassan I think that you find it difficult to write correctly and well.
Siraj Exactly (precisely). When I write I make many mistakes and can't get a good grade on the exam.
Hassan That is because you aren't doing what I've (I have) done, Listen carefully. Please learn some rules of writing correctly, and then write, write,
Siraj write... Write, write, what after all?
Hassan O my boy. Essays, stories, dialogue, and... and jokes-you know plenty of them, for example, about your Samu Chacha, about Mullah Nasruddin of Iran and Mullah Dopiyazh of...
Siraj And some about you too!
Hassan No joking. I'm serious! And don't forget getting corrected some of the matter you write, by your teachers and your Abbaji.
Siraj All right I'll (I will) do all this. Of course learning new words is also very important. I've already started learning new words and their use from story books and dictionaries.
Hassan That's really great. I had forgotten to tell you about that.
Siraj Let's (Let us) also decide to speak English at times when we meet.
Hassan I would (I'd) Love to do so.
Siraj Let us go to class. The long break is over.
Hassan Let us run, our sweet English teacher must be waiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sentence structure

Noun

Paragraph writing

Correction of incorrect sentences

Study and exam